Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Just a Sad Man Without a Dog...



As many parents often do, I love to imagine what my children will be when they grow up. Bradley really got me thinking about this a few days ago... As I picked him up from a cousins house he informed me that he would like to live at their house. When I asked why he explained, in such an innocent way, "because I just love dogs so much and they have dogs that live in their house." I told him that we just moved into our new house and I really want him to live with us there. I also reminded him that he can ask Santa for a dog, and if he is a very good boy he might just get one for Christmas. As he quietly pondered this information he sighed a small huff and responded, "I am just a sad man without a dog." I couldn't help but laugh and then my mind wondered as I thought, what is this little boy going to grow up to be.


Country song writer appears to fit this particular moment, although I think there is so much more that lies ahead for him. He has never met a stranger, so full of life and energy, he greets everyone with a smile. He has a way of expressing himself that often shows he is wise beyond his years. When he wants to make his point, he will pace back and forth, hands up in the air, his words do not stop until you cut him off. He can be very convincing, a politician maybe? He loves to wear his suits and ties. The picture above shows him ready for bed. I told him to go get his pajamas on and this is how I found him:) He has also developed a true passion for Bible stories and prayer. I know I have said it before, but his dinner prayers just warm my heart. He is so intentional and so pure. Maybe we will see him standing in front of a congregation one day. Now that is a career path I can fully support. No matter what it is that he decides to do when he grows up one thing is for sure, I love watching his story unfold.


Now Kendall, on the other hand, is what I like to call our "hot mess". At times I see so much of Bradley in her, but then there are those moments that she just stops me in my tracks. She is so independent and strong willed. She does not hesitate to tell you no, and her facial expressions say so much more than her words. She also responds strongly with her actions... One day she asked to walk to her cousins house, which is about 200 yards away. She was not going alone, but we told her no because it was almost bath time. Instead Steven decided to take her out back with him and his parents. When she asked to come back inside he opened the door and sent her in, not realizing that I was upstairs. A few minutes later the phone rang, it was Steven's cousin asking if we were missing someone?! Steven had sent her inside through the back door, she walked into the family room, put on a pair of shoes, out the garage door, and 200 yards (alone!) to her cousins house! We never even knew she was gone! I could not have been more thankful at that moment that we live on the side of a mountain with other family members! No traffic, no ponds, no strangers, just dogs and bugs! As I watch her walk across the room in her 4th outfit of the day, I can only smile! I imagine that she will finish her senior year of high school and take off to New York or California, just because she can:)


As for the baby, well he doesn't even have a name yet! This is always a difficult decision for us because it is such a permanent and life changing decision. Steven and the kids have taken a liking to the name Jacob. I was really starting to like it too, especially because my Mamaw's dad was Jake, but then I went to church on Sunday... I knew that Jacob was a Biblical name, but I am embarrassed to say that I did not recall the story of Jacob. So for those of you who do not remember, let me briefly refresh your memory: Jacob had two wives and two mistresses. He stole from his father and father-in-laws. His brother grew to hate him so much that he formed an army of 400 men to go and kill him. The name Jacob was declared to mean "betrayer". However, Jacob was not all bad and was forgiven for all of his wrong doings, at which time his name was changed to Israel. I know that there are many great people with the name Jacob, but how could I not take this message as a sign that Jacob may not be the name for this sweet baby? Well, the wait will be over soon. We are down to just about three short weeks and when we look into our babies eyes we will know, and share, the name that we have chosen.


This past weekend we spent our last weekend in Harlan as a family of 4, and it was perfect! Saturday morning we packed lunches, loaded up the boat, and spent most of the day out on the lake. It was so beautiful and relaxing. Later that night we had dinner with about 15 family members. We finished our weekend with a wonderful Sunday service and a trip to Super Walmart in Virgina:) Kendall and I will be going to Louisville at the end of this week to wait on the arrival of Baby Bus (still her favorite name). We will then be a family of 5...Complete!












1 comment:

  1. I love reading about your family! It makes me smile. You all are making such great memories. Hold on those because one day they keep you going as your babies grow up and start a life on their own.

    ReplyDelete